Friday, November 21, 2008

Thanksgiving!!

Thanksgiving at our house is usually going over to someone else's house and eating their food and bringing their leftovers home. This year we nixed that idea and instead opted for a Thanksgiving at our house. Huge for me because I don't really cook all that much (IE: 2 -3 days a week. Blame my job). Luckily I can read and follow directions so as long as i follow a recipe my food comes out pretty darn good. There will be studying involved beforehand. Dana introduced me to a few of her favorite recipe blogs. I'm going to attempt a Pioneer Woman Thanksgiving. If you click on her link and look up "Thanksgiving" I'm pretty much going to attempt about 70% of whats on her Thanksgiving recipe list. Am I crazy? A tad. I hope it all doesn't go to hell in a hand basket. I'm not insane though. Even I know my weaknesses. I ordered the turkey from Rudy's BBQ. I don't want to poison anyone and I'm not that gal who can pull off a turkey on her first shot. I think turkey making has to be introduced to you when you're young. Unforch, that was never done and I'm certainly not going to attempt it at almost 30 years of age. Perhaps one day when I make my list of things I've never done, a turkey will be on that list. Until then, Rudy's here I come!

My attempts are:

pumpkin and apple pie (pie crust from scratch)

mashed potatoes (from SCRATCH!!)

sweet potatoes (I'm not a fan but she swears her recipe will change me...we'll see)

stuffing (again, from scratch!)

corn and wild rice

whiskey glazed carrots (yes, whiskey) :-)

"Spanish" green beans (wtf makes them Spanish? the cayenne?)

dinner rolls (you guessed it...from scratch!)

Hopefully I don't poison anyone and everything turns out delish. If it doesn't at least we'll have the smoked turkey.

I need more counter space, I think. :(

1 comment:

Dawnita said...

You can drop off any unwanted leftovers at the Mitchell house.